The story I wrote for 2010 NaNoWriMo is called Harry Potter Sucks; A Novel for those who have had it with the Harry Potter Phenomenon and the Hype that it caused. In this story, a young boy describes his town’s obsession with Harry Potter and what happened when that obsession led to murder of a high-profile Harry Potter fanatic.
Daniel Dickens is an avid reader of anything fantasy-related, but he isn’t a huge fan of Harry Potter (In fact, he never got past the first books). His family doesn’t like Harry Potter and they try to control how many fantasy books are allowed in their house. The cit where the Dickens family lives is obsessed with Harry Potter, even to the point of shutting out other books.It doesn’t help that there were laws made so that only the Harry Potter books were to be read.
Meanwhile, Daniel’s next-door neighbor, an older boy named Adam Wilkins, is being exploited by his foster family by being forced to star in a homemade movie about Harry Potter. Adam’s disappearance leads to rumors about his death and Daniel’s recruitment into the movie. But Daniel’s resistance leads to the entire town to admit its problems and being forced to clean up its act.
- Last Chapter written: Chapter 11 completed; total 15 chapters plus prologue and epilogue
- Finished: no
- words written: 30,429
- Story renamed as How Harry Potter Ruined My Town
Why is the story not finished: story needs re-editing and chapter 12 needs to be completed. Story to be finished at a later date.
- I’m a Fraud (kamcgonagle.wordpress.com)
- REPOST: Harry Potter’s new image revealed (nourishingyoungminds.wordpress.com)
- REVIEW: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling (reread) (theliteraryflaneur.wordpress.com)
- Exam period in the Harry Potter Library!! (durhamstudentsabroad.wordpress.com)