Call me an idiot, but why are people trying to assume that Percy Jackson & The Olympians is a Harry Potter Rewrite? To me, that’s the most absurd thing I’ve heard, not to mention that I’m still trying to fight against Twilight haters and people who think Charlie Bone is a rip-off of Harry Potter.
In short, I don’t have time for this.
But what I do have time for is to remind people to stop comparing every piece of fantasy they see to Harry Potter. Harry Potter is NOT the be-all of fantasy. If you want some real fantasy, why not try the Lord of the Rings or the Chronicles of Narnia? Why not find some classic fantasy? Heck, why not pick up anything written by Neil Gaiman for that matter?
Harry Potter is NOT the greatest fantasy story in existence. Far from it. In fact, we should be saying “Harry who? I’m so over that!”
Anyway, to get back on topic, the reason is that Percy Jackson draws heavily on Greek mythology, but Harry Potter? Well, not so much. You think you know a book, but where the source of the story comes from is just as important as the story itself.
Now you know.
- Excellent books for kids (mathylibrarian.wordpress.com)
- Percy Jackson and The Olympians (rwh92.wordpress.com)
- Percy Jackson (cooggins33.wordpress.com)
- Of Olympians, Reservoirs, and Some Questions (nerdredefined.wordpress.com)
- Review: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (witchmagsboekenplank.wordpress.com)
- SPOILER: Percy Jackson didn’t steal the lightning bolt…technically. (bookingawesome.wordpress.com)
- Percy Jackson Series Review (negaublog.wordpress.com)