Ok, I must admit when we all need to take a step back and realize that there’s more to fantasy than Harry Potter. I mean, the books are great and all, but I’m getting sick to death about hearing about “Harry Potter this” and “Harry Potter that” and the dreadful “Harry Potter is the greatest fantasy book ever written“.
Oooops! Have you all forgotten about “Lord of the Rings“? Wasn’t that the book that redefined fantasy? And what about the Narnia series? J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis had set out to redefine fantasy and make it even bigger than it initially was in their day, which were the 1950’s-1960’s, when people made such a huge fuss over Lord of the Rings. And Lord of the Rings went on to be produced by Peter Jackson, who turned the book into the biggest epic movie of the last decade, winning scores of awards and millions of fans around the world.
And guess what? The Chronicles of Narnia have done quite well in theaters at that, prompting people to go back and reread the beloved Christian series.
Ok, now here’s a list of books I think are better to read besides Harry Potter:
- Children of the Red King series by Jenny Nimmo
- Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer
- Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke
- Percy Jackson & the Olympians series by Rick Riordan
- A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
- His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
- Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
- Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
- Night World Series by L.J. Smith
- House of Night series by P.C. Cast & Kristen Cast
- Books of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
- Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer
- The Redwall Series by Brian Jacques
- The Septimus Heap Series by Angie Sage
- The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
- The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott
- Warriors series by Erin Hunter
- Gone by Michael Grant
- Discworld Series by Terry Prachett
- any book written by Neil Gaiman
And of course The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (plus The Hobbit and the Silmarillion MUST be read as well) and The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
So let’s all do ourselves a reasonable favor and read these books INSTEAD of Harry Potter. You may find that you’ll like the books and perhaps step off the “Harry Potter” express for good.
list of books came from Google, which various websites were used in the writing of this blog post.